AGEC are currently working with O’Connor Sutton Cronin for Iarnród Éireann on the Limerick to Foynes railway project. AGEC were engaged to provide a geotechnical design for the potential re-opening of the 40km long railway line.
The original railway line was opened in 1858 and operated mainly as a freight line until 2000. In 2007 the connection between the Limerick to Foynes railway line and the mainline was removed.
The railway is a single track line starting at Limerick Check Cabin at Limerick Station and running to Foynes Port, Ireland’s second largest freight port. In terms of infrastructure there are 87 structures (23 overbridges, 28 underbridges and 36 culverts) along the route.
The geotechnical design included the interpretation of ground conditions and design recommendations for earthworks along the railway line for cuttings, embankments and upgrade/remedial works to a number of structure foundations.